Masala dosa is a favourite breakfast for every person who is a South Indian.There are many versions of Masala Dosa,this time I tried Kudpimaam's version.For bhaji and chutney I followed my own recipe and for dosa measurement I followed maam's recipe.The dosa became very crisp just as the way it needed to.This was my Sunday special breakfast last week.Masala dosa has to be relished piping hot,direct from the tawa to the plate,orelse there is no fun in eating,so better to prepare it in leisure.
Recipe of dosa adapted from : Kudpiraj's Garam tawa
For potato bhaji :
Green chillies-4,slit into 2
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp,chopped
For the tempering:
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Chana dhal-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Oil-2 tbsp approx
- Cook the potatoes,peel it and chop it into cubes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard seeds,add chana dhal,cashewnuts and curry leaves,saute it for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and green chillies and fry for a second.
- Add onions and fry for two more minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water approx and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes,green peas and salt to taste,cook it in simmer for 5 minutes and make it as dry as possible.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Ingredients for the red chutney:
Long red chillies-4-5,soaked in hot water for an hour
Roasted cumin powder-a pinch
Method for the red chutney:
Grind all the ingredients mentioned under the list to a fine paste.
Grated coconut coconut-1/4 cup
Dried long red chillies-2
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Coriander seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-3-4 leaves
- Grind all the ingredients to a fine paste using water.
- Use it as required.
Ingredients for the dosa:
Raw rice-4 cups
Urad dhal-1 1/2 cups
Chana dhal-1/4 cup
Tur dal-1/4 cup
Poha(beaten rice) -fistful
Ghee/oil-as much needed to smear the dosa
Method for the dosa batter:
How to proceed:
- Soak all the ingredients together for 4-5 hours except salt,ghee/oil,butter and sugar.
- Wash the beaten rice and grind it along with soaked ingredients slightly thinner than the idli batter.
- Ferment it overnight for 8-10 hours(30 Degree C) and next day add salt and sugar and allow it to stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Keep a bowl of water and a piece of clean napkin aside to wipe the tawa after every dosa to get a better result.
- Heat the griddle,wipe it with the wet towel,take a ladle of batter,put it in the centre of the tawa and spread it thinly,smear it with melted ghee all over the dosa,simmer and close the lid.
- You may also add the ghee or oil at the later stage when the dosa leaves the sides of the pan which indicates it is cooked.
- After a minute,take the lid off,spread the red chutney,then the garlic chutney all over dosa or as you like and then add potato bhaji at one side.
- You may also add butter at this stage.
- This batch I used only garlic chutney.
- Fold the dosa into half,higher the flame and roast it until brown in color on both the sides and serve hot.
Some stepwise pictures:
Labels: Dosa corner