Marwai sukkha is again a Mangalorean specialty.I borrowed this recipe from my aunt Laxmi Padiyar where originally one of her friend had shared her this recipe...This is the recipe of Kori/chicken sukkha but here it is substituted with clams.This dish goes well with the main course especially with the boiled rice.For GSB style Kubbe sukkhe/clams sukkha refer here.
Coconut-1 big or 2 cups grated
Roasted red chillies-12 approx(long and short chillies)
Tamarind- marble sized
Curry leaves-3 sprigs
Ingredients to be roasted:
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-5-6 seeds
Method on how to cook clams:
- Wash the clams,transfer it in a wide bottomed vessel and keep it on flame without adding water.
- Close the lid and wait for the shells to get opened,simmer after a boil,if it is too dry add little water.
- Off the flame once the shell gets opened.
- Retain the maximum topmost stock and discard the stock that stays at the bottom since it will have sand particles.
- You may use only the flesh or with the help of your hand cut the clams into two and discard the empty shell and retain the one with the flesh.
- This batch I did not separate the shells,I kept as it was since the size was small.
Method for the curry:
- Heat oil and roast 2 onions until translucent and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the coconut until red in colour and keep it aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil and roast the ingredients mentioned to be roasted until it splutters.
- Grind the roasted ingredients with the chillies, 3-4 garlic flakes,tamarind and 1 onion to a smooth paste.
- Pulse the roasted coconut once,don't powder it,it should be coarse.
- Mix the paste,coconut ,salt to taste to the clams and take a boil.
- Add smashed garlic,fried onion to the curry and keep in simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lastly off the flame,add curry leaves and close the lid and keep it for few minutes.
- Relish it hot.