Its been sometime since I shared anything under the label Breakfast.I had this picture in one of my albums and thought of sharing it.Khara bhaath is the Karnataka special dish which is very famous in Bangalore side.I adapted this recipe from The chef and her kitchen.I had prepared this long back and had liked it very much.Khara bhaath is similar to that of vegetable rulam or upma.Few variations are done with different names.Usually it is paired with sheera(sweet dish)and popularly known as chowchow baath and is served in most of the functions...For Vegetable rulam refer here.
Recipe adapted from:The chef and her kitchen
Semolina-1 cup fine or coarse(Khandva suji or bombay suji or rawa)
Onion-1 big,chopped finely
Ginger-garlic paste-2 tsp
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp,chopped
Chilly powder or sambhar powder-1/2 tsp(I used Sambhar powder)
Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp(I did not use)
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Curry leaves-8-10 sprigs
Ghee- 1-2 tbsp to garnish
Salt- to taste
Water-4 cups(boiling water)1:4 ratio
Carrot-1,cut into small cubes
Green peas-1/2 cup,frozen or fresh,cooked
Ingredients for the seasoning:
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Urad dhal-1/2 tsp
Chana dhal-1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
- Dry roast the rawa until you get a nice aroma and keep it aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee and roast cashewnuts until light brown in colour and keep it aside.
- In the same pan and ghee,splutter mustard seeds,add all the seasonings mentioned,fry it until light brown in colour,add green chillies,curry leaves.
- Add onions and saute it for sometime.
- Add all the veggies and cook it until it fades little bit.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell disappears.
- Add all the spice powders and saute for a second.
- Now add 4 cups of boiling water and again take a boil.
- Add semolina,salt to taste,pinch of sugar and cook it stirring well.
- Close the lid and keep it for 2-3 minutes.
- Off the flame and garnish coriander leaves,roasted cashewnuts,grated coconut and lime juice.
- Serve it hot with a blob of ghee.