I have prepared this curry maximum number of times.This is one of the oldest recipe which I had borrowed from my Amma's elder sister Prabha Maav when I was in school.Initially when we had just started preparing chicken delicacies at Amma's place we used to follow only this recipe.This is one of my signature dish and we love this curry very much.This curry goes well with rice,ghee rice or roti.
Coriander leaves-3-4 tbsp,chopped to garnish
Ingredients for the masala:
Coconut-1 1/2 cups,grated
Short red chillies-5,roasted in a tsp of oil
Long red chillies-8,roasted in a tsp of oil
To be fried:
Coriander seeds-3 tbsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
- Fry the ingredients mentioned to be fried until light brown in colour.
- Grind the roasted ingredients along with the masala ingredients to a very fine paste.
- Heat ghee in a cooker,fry onions until translucent,add masala and fry it for few minutes in a low flame.
- Add tomatoes,salt to taste and a tbsp of coriander leaves.
- Close the lid,take 2-3 whistles,simmer for 6-7 minutes and off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases,open the lid and check salt,cook chicken if uncooked.
- If the gravy is too thin,keep the curry on high flame and adjust the consistency.
- Garnish with remaining coriander leaves.