Vegetable chilli milli is a North Indian dish with cashew and tomato based gravy.It contains assorted vegetable with a combination of spicy,sweet and tangy taste.This recipe is definitely a keeper.I adapted this recipe from Raks kitchen and modified slightly.This dish goes well with rotis or rice.I prepared phulkas and soya rice as a combo.North Indian dishes are always a favourite at our place except my hubby dear who is a Amchi food lover.I always hunt for new recipes and try anything that looks appealing.The vegetables in this dish are cut into thin strips as Raks says it cooks fast.I used the grater to cut into strips.
Recipe adapted from:Raks kitchen
Cabbage-3/4 cup,cut into strips
Carrot-1,cut into thin strips
Capsicum-1 small,cut into thin strips
Tomato puree-1 cup(I used readymade) or puree 3 tomatoes
Coriander powder-2 tsp
Chilly powder-1/2 tsp or to taste
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp,chopped
Kasuri methi-2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Heat ghee in a pan,splutter cumin seeds,add onions and green chillies and fry until transparent.
- Add tomato puree and saute until raw smell disappears.
- Add cashew paste and fry for few minutes,at this stage add some more ghee or oil to avoid it from burning and turning dry.
- Add all the powders one by one and fry for a minute.
- Add the veggies,salt to taste and 1 1/2 cups water approx and take a boil and simmer for few minutes.
- Add crumbled paneer,paneer pieces and cook for few minutes.
- Lastly add fresh cream,kasuri methi and mix it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Labels: North Indian Gravies