Two days back I was craving for Raja pannaphkari,but was a bit hesitant to cook since my partner in crime,my sonny boy, whose a seafood lover is still holidaying in U.A.E. But God listened to my prayers and my aunt brought the parcel yesterday,which her mother in law Jahnavi mayi had prepared and aunty prepares the BEST seafood.My sonny boy missed it .He just loves her preparations.Coming back to the recipe this is prepared by grinding the chillies or known as the ground method.This method is tasty and the gravy consistency is sufficient. Last time I had prepared aunty s recipe on Sungta Thalsan,garlic flavored prawns.Please check my instant method of Raja pannaphkari too.The best combo with this is red rice or boiled rice and I exactly had the curry the same way.Last but not the least Raja means Mackerel.
Mackerels-6,medium sized,cleaned and cut into medium pieces
Coconut oil-2-3 tbsp
To be ground:
Fried long chillies-15
Fried short chillies-5
Tamarind-2 marble sized(adjust the sourness)
Coriander seeds- 2 tsp
- Grind the ingredients mentioned under to be ground to a smooth paste using water as much as needed.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions until red in colour.
- Add the ground masala and saute for a minute.
- Add water,salt to taste and adjust the gravy to a semi thick consistency.
- Drop the fish pieces,adjust salt and take a boil,simmer for 6-7 minutes and cook the fish until done.
- Once the fish is slided in the gravy don't add the spatula much.
- You may prepare this preparation with other fish like Pomfret,seer fish,prawns,sardines etc.
- Adjust the chillies according to your taste,normally this dish is spicy and a little tangy in taste.