Lauki means Bottle gourd.This subzi is a combination prepared with the bottle gourd and chana dal(Bengal gram dal).Few days back my in-laws were here and I wanted to prepare something new without onion and garlic since my father in law doesn't eat both.And that reminded me of Anjana ji's blog Maayeka which has a very good collection of dishes without onion and garlic.And I had bookmarked this recipe sometime back and prepared it in a jiffy.This is a very healthy dish.
Recipe adapted from Maayeka:Maayeka
Bengal gram (chana
daal)-1/2 cup *
Chopped green chili-1
- Wash and soak chana daal in 2 cups of water for
- Peel and chop bottle gourd into medium sized pieces.
- Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and then add
cumin and all the tempering ingredients on low heat.
- When cumin starts crackling and becomes golden,add soaked chana daal,bottle gourd,tomato, chopped ginger, salt
,turmeric and chili flakes and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add 2 cups of water,mix well and pressure cook for
3-4 whistles on a medium heat.
- Open and check ,If daal and gourd becomes soft and slightly mashed then add a pinch of sugar,mix and cook for
approx 2 minute on slow flame.(if not cooked properly in 3-4 whistles
then pressure cook again for 2-3 whistles.)
- Once the pressure releases open the lid, add lemon juice and chopped
fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.
You may also prepare this subzi with Yellow moong dal.
Labels: North Indian subzis