Kadgi means raw jackfruit.This is a popular GSB dish prepared in most of the GSB household during the jack season.Best combination with this dish is Dhali thoy.Cutting jack is an art.It contains milky sticky gum and one has to cut it very carefully.We use an Indian knife(Adoli) to cut this vegetable/fruit.Refer Wiki for further information.To cut the Jack,spread a thick disposable plastic sheet or old newspapers before you start cutting the vegetable.Apply generous amount of coconut oil to your hands and knife before cutting to prevent the messy gum.Please take care of your dress too.Cut it into half,peel the skin and cut it into desired sized pieces.For kadgi chakko we have to cut the jack into small medium sized pieces.I will update with stepwise pictures in the coming days.
Raw tender jack-2 cups,cut into medium pieces
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
For the masala:
Roasted short red chillies-4
Roasted long red chillies-2
Urad dal(split black gram dal)-1 tsp,roast in half tsp oil until brown in colour
- Take a pressure cooker and fill it with 2-3 cups of water,place the chopped jackfruit in a bowl with little water,salt to taste and place it in the cooker.
- Take a whistle or two and off the flame.
- Transfer it in a colander,drain water(use it in the curry later),cool,smash the cooked jack and keep it aside.
- Grind the masala to medium thick dry masala or coarse masala adding very little water.*
- Add the roasted black gram dal at the later stage of grinding,we add it once the masala is almost done and then grind it further for 5 minutes.
- Take a kadai,heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves,masala,cooked and smashed jack,little water if required and salt to taste.
- Saute for few minutes, simmer and keep it for 5-7 minutes.
- Kadgi chakko is ready,relish it with dhali thoy and rice.
- You may also add a pinch of jaggery to the masala while grinding.
- You may also add a tsp of coriander seeds while roasting urad dal and then add while grinding it.