Tomato puri is a puri flavoured with tomatoes and mint leaves.Yesterday when I was thinking that I should prepare something new type of puri with the combination of Aamras my sight fell on Anjana ji's recipe in the facebook page updates and I visited her blog,liked it at the first sight and I immediately prepared it without wasting time.Anjana ji's blog Maayeka is a vegetarian blog with wonderful recipes.I have many in my list to do recipes from her blog.My daughter sanju liked this puri so much that I had to prepare it the next day too.This puri is tangy and spicy and blended well with Aaamras since Aamras is sweet.Stay tuned for Aamras,coming up next.
Wheat flour-1 1/2 cup
Mint leaves ,chopped-1 1/2 - 2 tbsp(You may also use fresh, chopped fenugreek leaves or coriander leaves)
Thick tomato puree-1 cup(*I used store bought)
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp(I did not add)
Chili powder- 1 tsp
Baking soda- a pinch
Cooking oil-1 tbsp
Salt- to taste
- In a big bowl mix wheat flour,semolina,salt,chili powder,oil,salt,baking soda and mint leaves,
- Now add tomato puree in the wheat flour mixture and make a medium stiff dough.add few tsp of water if needed.
- Cover and rest the dough for 10 minutes.
- Now make small balls from the dough and dust with flour and roll to make medium thick pooris.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and gently slide the poori in the hot oil.
- After adding in the oil ,reduce the heat to medium and gently press the poori from one side with a slotted spoon,it helpes to puff up the poori.
- Fry from both the sides till golden in colour,remove from the pan and drain on a paper napkin.
- Serve hot .