Poha chutney is a popular breakfast of the GSB's as well as famous Mangalorean dish.Poha means beaten rice.This is one of the staple breakfast of the Mangalorean's. There are few methods of this preparation.This method is the ground method.I will post different versions as and when I prepare the same.It is served with different combos like poha chutney/chana upkari either with white chana or black chana,Poha chutney/mooga dali usli,Poha chutney/Jeev kadgi phodi,Poha chutney/Sev etc.In Mangalorean restaurants famous combo served is Sajjige/Bhajil which is Poha chutney/Upma (Rulam) especially served on the plantain leaf..We prepare this dish during most of our festivities especially religious ones's.There are different dishes which can be prepared with poha.I have already posted Kanda batata poha.You may adjust the spice and sweetness according to your taste.Traditionally the masala's were pound in the mortar and pestle.Below here I have displayed the dish in the wooden mortar.
Coconut-1 1/2 cups,grated
Beaten rice/poha-2-2 1/2 cups,as much as needed(thin)
To be ground:
Coriander seeds-3 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Coconut-1/4 cup grated
Roasted long red chillies-2-3
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Grind the ingredients mentioned under 'to be ground' without adding water coarsely.
- Transfer the ground chutney in a wide bowl,add 1 1/2 cups of grated coconut and mix it well using your hands.
- Now prepare the seasoning,splutter mustard seeds in oil and add curry leaves.
- Add the seasoning to the chutney,mix it,add beaten rice little by little and mix it thoroughly using your hands again,add the beaten rice only as much it holds, don't add all of it together.
- You may also use the mixture as you want,if you have to serve for a single person,take 2- 3 tbsp of the mixture and add the poha and mix it.
- Poha chutney is ready.
- Once mixed it is better to use it immediately or else it will turn soggy,so it is better to mix the chutney and the poha as and when you want.
It is better to use hands to mix the poha chutney since it releases all the flavour and spice.
Adjust the beaten rice as much as you need.
The recipe above I gave is of approx measure, as we go by the eye for the measurements.