Dal dhokli reminds me of the song doli taro dol bhaje,dol bhaje....Well, coming back to the recipe this is a popular dish from the land of Gujarat.I love Gujarati cuisine.Dal dhokli means sour chapathi squares in dal.Small pieces of rolled chapathi dough are cooked in a sweet and sour dal.An excellent meal in a dish.The main accompaniment of this dish is rice.But once the dal is ready it is better to use it soon since the dhoklis absorb the dal and it turns to be dry.The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of flour,but I suggest 3/4 cup to 1 cup is sufficient.Despite I didn't use all the dough,I felt the dhoklis were little more in the dal since dhoklis absorbs dal very quickly.The dal was very thin before adding the dhoklis,but once dhoklis were added it started to turn thick..I prepared roti's with the leftover dough. I also prepared jeera rice as an accompaniment.Please refer my Khandvi, Mango Chunda on Gujarati cuisine.
Ingredients for the dal:
Toovar dal(split Red gram dal)-3/4 cup
Water-4 1/2 cups
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-15-20 leaves
Tamarind-2 tbsp pulp
Coriander leaves-4 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Ingredients for the seasoning:
Asafoetida-a big pinch
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Garlic- 6 cloves(optional)
Ingredients for the dhoklis:
Whole wheat flour-1 cup(recipe called for 1 1/2 cups)
Ajwain(Carom seeds)-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Water-as much as needed(very little)
Salt- to taste
Method for the dal:
- Pick,was and soak the dal in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal till it becomes soft.
- When the pressure is released,open the lid and churn the dal well.
- Add turmeric powder,salt,curry leaves and remaining 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil,add jaggery and tamarind juice,keep it aside.
Method for the Dhoklis:
- Add all the ingredients of the Dhoklis in a bowl or a food processor bowl,pulse it for few seconds until it resembles like crumbs and knead the dough adding water little by little into a stiff dough.
- Make equal balls,roll it into a chapathi and cut it into squares approx 1" * 1"and keep it aside.
Method of Dal dhokil:
- Grind ginger,garlic and green chillies to paste mentioned in the seasoning.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a small pan, splutter mustard seeds,add cumin seeds and hing.
- Add the paste and fry for a second,and add this seasoning to the dal.
- Now drop the dhokli pieces carefully in the dal,cook uncovered on a low flame for about 10 minutes,stirring 4-5 times very carefully,so that the dhokli pieces do not stick to the bottom of the pan and each piece of the dhokli is separate.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.