Batate pathal bhaji is best served with puri and is one of the best combo.Amma used to prepare it often for breakfast.Batate means potato and pathal means thin gravy.This is again a popular dish of the GSB's.Adding green peas and besan is optional.You may also add 2-3 garlic cloves while you fry the onions.Adding besan thickens the bhaji so that you get a semi thick consistency. Pathal bhaji reminds me of Goan temple canteen where they serve with Kadak(hard) paav.
Green chillies-4,slit into 2
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp,chopped
For the tempering:
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Chana dhal-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Oil-2 tbsp approx
- Cook the potatoes,peel it and chop it into cubes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard seeds,add chana dhal and curry leaves,saute it for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and green chillies and fry for a second.
- Add onions and fry for two more minutes.
- Add 1 cup water approx and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes,green peas and salt to taste,cook it in simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add besan and cook it for few more minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with puri.