Rajma chawal takes me back to my childhood days.Well the name is Punjabi rajma chawal,and you'll must be wondering this dish is made with rice.No friends,this dish is named so because Punjabi rajma masala is served with the rice.This is a popular dish of Punjab.The name says it all.I first tasted this dish at my friends aunts place and somehow managed to get the recipe and passed the recipe to my Amma.But I wasn't aware the dish is served with rice since I had tasted it with chapathi... Since then Amma has been preparing it specially for my sake.I used to relish it with roasted bread and chapati often.Then one fine day I came to know it goes well with rice and it is a Punjabi delicacy,since then I'm relishing it till today's date.This curry goes well with jeera rice or Basmathi rice.I love garam masala gravies in any form.Do you ?
Rajma(Red kidney beans)-cooked,1 1/2 cups
Ginger garlic paste-2 tsp
Chilly powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Cumin powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Amchur powder-1/4 tsp
Fresh cream-3 tbsp
Coriander leaves-4 tbsp,chopped
Salt- to taste
Ghee-2 tbsp approx
Basmathi rice-cooked,to serve
- Heat ghee in a pan and saute chopped onions until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a second,add all the powders and saute for a minute,add chopped tomatoes and saute for 7-8 minutes.
- Add cooked rajma,salt to taste and rajma stock or water as much as needed to adjust the consistency.
- Take a boil and lower the flame and cook for few minutes so that the spices are blended well.
- Lastly add fresh cream and take a slight boil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
To cook the rajma,soak it overnight,next day cook it in a cooker for 3-4 whistles,simmer for 20 minutes.Once the pressure releases,open the lid,check if it is cooked,if not cook it until it gets cooked,add salt and take a boil.You may store the cooked rajma in an airtight container in a refrigerator for a week.
Labels: North Indian Gravies