Mothiyale piyavu panha or ambat is a popular Konkani dish prepared in most of the G.S.B's house who eat seafood. Mothiyale means silver fish.The same recipe may be used to prepare Lady fish,crab,butterfish etc.Silver fish is a very delicate fish,so one has to be very careful once you drop the fish in the gravy.This fish gets cooked very fast.I bought 50 silver fish from the market ,out of which I prepared this curry with 35 fish and remaining 15 I prepared crispy rawa fry.This curry tastes best when served on a plantain leaf.
Coconut oil-2 tsp
To be ground:
Coconut-1 1/2 cups,grated
Short red chillies-5-6,roasted
Long red chillies-3,roasted
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned under "To be ground",to a smooth paste.
- Add water as much as needed to the paste and adjust the gravy to obtain a thick gravy.
- Add salt to taste,keep it on the flame and take a boil.
- Once the boil comes drop the cleaned fish and take a small boil(3-4 minutes).
- Don't add spatula once you drop the fish,hold the sides of the vessel and stir it carefully.
- Heat oil in a small pan and fry the onions until red in colour.
- Season the onions to the curry.
- Serve it hot with boiled rice.