Hot cross buns!Yes, buns or Mangalore buns is my all time favourite snack.My Mamama used to prepare the best buns,miss it so badly.She used to always prepare it for my sake whenever we used to visit her on Saturdays.Whenever she used to ask my wish to eat,my answer would be always" Buns" and only "Buns".She used to serve it with piping hot aromatic filter coffee.Amma is her replica when it comes to cooking,yes, she has inherited the cooking talent from her Amma like most of us...This is my Amma's recipe.At times we add ripe banana to the dough which gives extra flavour,but one has to be careful while frying the buns since it burns fast if not taken care while frying.I like to relish buns with coffee.At restuarant it is served with chutney.Buns always tastes good if it is sweet.
Curds or butter milk-1/2 cup
Flour(maida)-11/2-2 cups approx
Sugar-1/4 cup or according to taste
Baking soda-1/4 tsp
Oil - to deep fry
- Take a bowl and add curd/buttermilk,dissolve sugar,salt and baking soda.
- Add flour and knead to a soft dough(Add the flour little by little).
- Keep it outside overnight by closing it with a damp cloth or lid or ferment for 5-6 hours.
- Next morning punch the dough and dust flour if required.
- Pinch lemon sized balls,roll into small discs like of puri.
- Heat oil and drop the buns in hot oil and fry on both the sides until brown in colour.
- Serve it hot with coffee.