Aam ka panna is a popular drink of Maharastrians. I was first exposed to this drink on my daughter's first birthday in Mumbai.My sister in law had prepared this for the guests which became a super hit.With scorching heat of summer and mangoes in season,this is the best drink to quench the thirst.But the twist here is, raw mangoes are used in the recipe instead of ripe and that gives the punch of khatta meeta(sweet and sour) flavour.I prepare this every year during the mango season.The mangoes used here is
home factory grown and that gives a personal touch to the recipe.Jaggery may be used instead of sugar in the same recipe,Adjust spice and sweetness as per your personal taste.If you want it to be sour,reduce the sweetness and vice versa.
Raw mangoes-2,big ones
Sugar-1 1/2 cups approx
Roasted cumin powder-1/4 tsp
Kala namak-a pinch
Water- 3-4 cups for the pulp
- Wash and peel the mangoes.
- Cook it in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles and off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases,open the lid and cool the mangoes.
- Separate the flesh and discard the stone.
- Blend it the blender along with the sugar and water as much as needed and make a thick pulp.
- Transfer it in the vessel,add roasted cumin powder,kala namak,water and check the sugar.
- Store it in the refrigerator.
- To serve,fill half glass with the pulp and remaining half with water,stir and dilute as needed.
- You may keep the drink thin or little thick.
- You may also add crushed mint leaves(Pulse it twice in blender).
- Serve chilled.
- If you want to use all the pulp, add approx 1- 1 1/2 litres of water.
- Adjust water as needed.