Hot cross buns,Hot cross buns,One a penny ,Two a penny,Hot cross buns.Finally I dared to bake these beauties and was successful.I adapted this recipe from Raks Kitchen and made my own stuffing.Would want to try again and again with different stuffing's.I was very happy to see my Papa and Amma enjoy this bun thoroughly. Few days back I had tried Pesto rolls from Divyas blog which was also successful and my folks enjoyed it.Divya has beautifully explained on the steps about to how to check Yeast and use it .Got to try many more recipes of buns.Until then enjoy this masala bun with a cuppa coffee or tea.
Recipe adapted from:Raks Kitchen
Ingredients for the outer covering:
Maida(all purpose flour)- 1 ½ cup
Active dry Yeast-3/4 tbsp
Olive oil-2 tbsp
For the stuffing:
Red capsicum-3 tbsp,chopped
Green capsicum-3 tbsp,chopped
Yellow capsicum-3 tbsp,chopped
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Olive oil-2 tsp
Olive oil-2 tsp,to grease the baking tray
- Take warm milk and add yeast and sugar to it and keep it aside for few minutes and dissolve it completely.
- Take flour in a bowl and make a dent in the centre,add salt ,olive oil,yeast dissolved mixture and water and make a very soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with the cling film and keep it aside for an hour so that the dough doubles in size.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan, saute all the veggies for a while and add all the powders,salt and sugar.
- Cool it completely and keep aside.
- After an hour ,punch the dough again for sometime to remove all the air if any.
- Make 6 equal sized balls out of the dough.
- Line a baking tray with the aluminium foil and grease it with olive oil,arrange the balls in the tray with proper spacing and apply olive oil over them and keep it aside again for 10 more minutes.
- After 10 minutes take one ball at a time in your palm,flatten it with the help of your fingers and make a dent at the centre for the stuffing.
- Add the stuffing in the centre and pinch all the ends of the dough together towards the centre to cover the stuffing.
- Roll it into smooth bun and repeat the step for every bun.
- Arrange them in lined baking tray with the pinched side down.
- Brush them again with olive oil.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 190 deg C and bake it for 20 minutes approx until the buns turns light brown in color.
- Remove it from the oven and brush it with oil.
Don’t add all the water at once.(I added and the dough was little stiff)
The dough should be very soft.
It is said that when you add the yeast to the warm milk or water it raises and turns frothy which means the yeast is perfect.(Mine didn't,may be should I should try with other brands).
I use Active dry yeast or bakers brand.
Still to master experimenting with the yeast.
Please keep an eye while the baking process is on,time may vary.
You may use your own imaginations for the stuffing.