Chicken chettinad

I adapted this recipe from my friend Kudupi raj maams blog.Well I had thought I had already posted this in my blog and today I found that I didn't.  I usually prepare Sanjeev Kapoors recipe but this recipe of Maam looked so interesting and tempting I had to try this and it was  truly mindblowing.I had first tasted this dish in Calicut  in a restaurant and second time I tasted when my cousin Divya  had prepared Sanjeev Kapoors recipe,with little variations of hers , in Bangalore and both the  taste still tickles my tastebuds... For more information on this recipe refer Kudupraj's Garam Tawa blog.





Ingredients:
Chicken-1 kg
Poppy seeds-2 tsp
Grated coconut-1/2 cup
Fennel seeds-1 tsp
Coriander seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Whole red chillies-6-8
Cinnamon-1” stick
Green cardamom-3
Cloves-2 no
Bay leaf-1
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Onion-1,large-1
Ginger,chopped-2 tsp
Garlic,chopped-2 tsp
Star anise-1/2
Red chilly powder-1 tsp
Tomatoes,medium-3
Lemon-1
Bay leaves-1-2
Fresh coriander leaves-a handful
Oil or ghee-2-3 tbsp

Method:
  1. Clean the chicken,remove the skin and cut into 12 pieces.
  2. Chop the onions and tomatoes separately.
  3. Roast the whole red chillies,grated coconut,poppy seeds,cumin seeds,green cardamom,cloves,cinnamon,star anise,fennel seeds in oil/ghee and grind it along with ginger and garlic.
  4. Heat oil/ghee fry the onions till golden,add bay leaf,ground paste and saute for sometime.
  5. Add the tomatoes,red chilly powder and turmeric powder.
  6. Add the chicken,mix and cook for 5 minutes,then add 2 cups of water and  lemon juice.
  7. Cover and cook until chicken is done.
  8. Garnish with coriander leaves.


Labels: