Thavare idli(A keralite Dosa)

The name goes as Thavare idli,but I can neither see thavare that is lotus nor   idli. Well, honestly I do not the know why the name.This recipe was passed from  my granny's bros wife S. Aayi (granny) said that S's family has been preparing it since a long ,long time,may be it is their family dish from Kerala.It was told to me that this dosa is spread very, very  thick,but we Santoshi prepares it medium thick.Yes, the tradition is still continued by my bhabhi Santoshi. She prepares it often especially on Saturdays and parcels me without fail.All I did was, study about the recipe. Santoshi's mom too shared few tips to me on the same,Oh god don't ask me,she has a huge collection of recipes and I enjoy her cooking too.Yes,she is my papas cousin also. Lol,You guys don't get confused now,let us concentrate on the recipe. Please make a note,it really tastes awesome.I shot this pic last Saturday,when S had parceled as per the routine.

Ingredients:
Urad dal(split black gram dal)-1 cup
Chana dal( split bengal gram dal)-1 cup
Rice-2 cups
Coconut-1 ½ cups,grated
Oil-1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-few sprigs ,chopped
Green chillies-4,minced or as per taste
Asafoetida(hing) – a pinch
Salt-to taste
Coconut Oil –as much as needed to roast the dosa



Method:
  1. Mix all the dals and rice together,soak it  for 4-5 hours and grind it coarsely with coconut.
  2. Transfer it into a vessel,add salt to taste,hing,curry leaves and minced green chillies and add water make a thick batter.
  3. Heat oil in a small seasoning pan and splutter mustard seeds and add it to the batter.
  4. Heat the griddle,spread the batter little thick and smear it with oil and close the lids and keep it in slow flame.
  5. Open the lid and roast it in the opposite side until brown.
  6. Relish it with chutney,butter or pickle.
My notes:
Adjust the flame accordingly.
Needs no fermentation since coconut is added.
Keep the batter thick.
Cut the dosa into  four pieces as shown in the picture.
You may soak the rice and dal overnight and grind it next day.
Use the tender part of the coconut for better taste.

Labels: