Saboodana kichdi

Saboodana kichdi  is a popular Maharastrian Breakfast and is prepared mostly during fasting since it is a concrete breakfast. It is often prepared during Monday fasts in Mumbai. Saboodana or tapioca pearls is made out of raw tapioca roots,an underground potato like variety.I learnt to prepare this dish from my Mayi (mother in law) who resides in Maharashtra, so I'm lucky to get a little exposure to Mumbaiyya delicacies.And now this has become my signature dish and my mayi  too enjoys my preparation,and that is is my biggest reward.Check the recipe of Saboodana pops too.


Ingredients:
Saboodana-2 cups
Roasted groundnut powder-1/2 cup
Green chillies-4 ,slit
Onion-2, chopped medium 
Oil-3 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar-a pinch(optional)
Coriander leaves- 2-3 tsp chopped, to garnish




Method:
  1. Soak saboodana for 1 to 2 hours until it gets completely soaked,it should be smashed when u press the pearl with your thumb and index finger.
  2. Drain it in a colander for 2 hours until the water drains completely and refrigerate overnight in an airtight container or may be for few hours for immediate use.
  3. Heat oil in a pan,splutter cumin seeds,add onions and fry until light pick in color.
  4. Add soaked saboodana,groundnut powder,salt and sugar to taste.
  5. Give it a stir and keep it in a slow flame for 15 – 20 minutes stirring in between.
  6. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.



My notes:
You may not refrigerate the soaked saboodana.
I  refrigerate the soaked saboodana as it is time consuming in the mornings,but the result is so good after refrigeration that  I make it a point to refrigerate everytime I prepare now.
Many of my friends have learnt this recipe from me and have succeeded especially because of the refrigeration process.
So its up to you ll whether to follow or not,but I suggest to follow.
I use ready made salted and peeled bombay peanuts and I always store it for my use which is very handy.
You may also  dry roast the raw peanuts and coarsely powder it.
You may not add onions if you do not prefer.
You may also add boiled potatoes to the kichdi.


Labels: