Karathe nonche or bittergourd pickle is a traditional Konkani pickle.It is prepared more often during GSB functions.Best combination with this is kotto,a breakfast dish prepared with jackfruit leaves.This pickle never misses at our place since my hubby dear S loves it and wants it daily so I always prepare it in small portions and preserve.This cannot be prepared in lumpsome like other pickles.Can be stored for a week if its home made .At my place they take the helpings just like gravy so wont be saved until a week.Please refer my detailed post on how to deep fry bittergourd.This is an instant recipe of the pickle,there is another version where we grind and prepare the pickle.Same recipe can be used to prepare Yam pickle or potato pickle,where yam or Potato is deep fried just like bittergourd.
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-3-4 sprigs
Chilly powder-4 tsp
Tamarind -double the marble sized (pulp)
Oil-to deep fry
Oil-2 tsp for the seasoning
- Chop the bittergourd into very small cubes.
- Apply salt to the bitter gourd and keep it aside for 2-3 hours.
- Squeeze all the water from it,heat oil and deep fry till brown and crisp.
- Take a pan and heat 2 tsp oil,splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves and simmer the flame.
- Add asafoetida,chilly powder and saute for a minute.
- Add tamarind pulp ,water,salt to taste and take a boil.
- Cool the gravy and add the fried bittergourd as much as needed.
- Leftover deep fried bittergourd may be stored until next use.
- Please refrigerate the pickle after use.
- Adjust the spice as per your taste.