Deep fried bittergourd is used in many preparations in Konkani cooking like Karathe kismuri, karathe nonche etc.I deep fry and store it in advance for my future use.It is very handy if you deep fry and store it.It can be stored for more than a month keeping it out in an airtight container and if you store it in the fridge you may keep it for few months.This is a very simple step,but very helpful and saves a lot of time.Small things can do great wonders many a times.You may also do this preparation with potato and yam .
Oil-to deep fry
- Chop bittergourd into small dices.
- Apply salt and marinate for 4- 5 hours.
- Squeeze the karela and discard the salted water completely.
- You may also wash it to remove the bitterness and drain the water completely and again apply salt.
- Heat oil in frying pan and deep fry the karela until crisp and brown in color.
- Don't over fry it,or else it will be burnt.(Personal experience)
- When it just comes to a brown color take it out from oil.
- Drain it in a kitchen napkin.
- Cool it completely and store in a airtight container.
- Please be cautious when you drop the karela into the oil.
Labels: How to?