Appo is a traditional Konkani breakfast dish prepared in almost every household of the GSB's. To prepare this you need a special pan with few depressions.This is best served with the chutney.My amma prepares the best appo's. Even though I prepare it, cant match it with amma's taste.We prepare this dish at least once a week.On the whole this is a healthy breakfast and can be even had as a snack.
Black gram dal(urad dal)-1 cup
Oil-to roast appe
Salt to taste
Ginger-1/2” chopped finely
Green chilly-1 chopped finely
Curry leaves-3 -4 sprigs chopped finely
- Soak the dal and rice for 4-5 hours separately.
- Grind the urad dal separately to a fine paste in the grinder.
- Transfer the ground dal into a broad vessel and then grind the rice to a fine paste in the grinder.
- Mix the rice paste into the ground urad dal.
- Add salt and ferment overnight.(7-8 hours)
- Next day add the garnish and beat the batter thoroughly.
- Heat the Appe pan,smear each depression with the oil,fill the depression with batter with a small ladle, again smear it with oil over the top on all the appes,close the lid and cook it in simmer for 5 -6 minutes.
- Open the lid and turn it over to the opposite side with the help of a knife and roast for 2 -3 minutes until crisp and brown.
- Serve it hot with red chutney or coriander leaves chutney.
- If you are using a non stick appe pan , don't smear it with oil before pouring the batter.
- The indication to turn the appe to the opposite side is ,the top part should not be battary,it should be cooked.
- Before turning the appe to the opposite side loosen it slightly so that it doesn't break.
- Traditionally cast iron pan is used to prepare appes.
- You may use the same batter to prepare dosa,but don't garnish it.
- I will post the recipe of the chutneys in the coming days.