Prawn Biryani is one my favorite biryani. About this recipe let me tell you'll, I had been to cooking class just after my marriage .Shashi V Shetty was very well known for her cooking classes.My another best buddy Amitha and me had attended her Biryani classes and learn't the technique.She thought us Chicken biryani,Prawn biryani and Mutton biryani in the class and we also got to taste the same....I thank Mrs Shashi V Shetty for this wonderful recipe.This biryani is simply mouthwatering.I have prepared this Biryani countless times and has always been a super duper hit.I have modified the recipe according to my convenience.This is one of my signature dish.
for the biryani rice:
gate basmathi rice-2 cups
½ -4 cups
food color- ¼ tsp
for the gravy:
tiger prawns(keep the tail intact) or 100 small prawns
Green chillies-12 or to taste
Grated coconut-2 tsp
Cumin seeds and poppy seeds-1/4 tsp to be fried
Method for the curry:
the ingredients from long chillies to coriander leaves.
2)Take some ghee in pan and fry onions till reddish in color.
3)Add the ground masala,tomatoes and curry leaves.
till the raw smell disappears.
add prawns,salt to taste and a pinch of sugar.
it on high flame and simmer for 5 minutes.
very little water so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
the gravy as dry as possible.
Method for the rice:
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a cooker,saute all the spices,dry fruits and onions until translucent.
- Add the rice,salt to taste,food color and water.
- Take a boil,check salt and close the lid.
- Take exactly one whistle and off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases open the lid and spread the rice carefully on a plate to cool.
- Keep it aside.
- You may also prepare the rice in an electric rice cooker.
borosil bowl first add one layer of rice.
add the Prawn gravy.
layer should be of rice.
it with the cling film and micro for 5
Tips:You may also garnish deep fried onions.
You may also keep the rice and curry separate.
How to prepare rice in the rice cooker:
- Grease the vessel and the plate of the rice cooker well.
- Add washed and soaked rice.
- Add salt to taste, whole spices and water.
- Once it is 3/4 cooked add saffron soaked in milk and don't mix it.
- This is done so that the rice gets the effect of yellow and white combination.
- Cook until done.