Dhali Thoy is a popular Konkani special dhal which is a must in most of the GSB homes.This dhal is prepared with tuvar dhal (split red gram).Any functions like weddings,temple functions,you'll get this yummy dhal to relish it.The aroma of asafoetida is simply aromatic.This dhal is a very good combination with rice.During weddings and temple functions this is served on plantain leaves which people just enjoy to slurp.I like the strong flavour of hing in the dhali.Dhali goes best with the rice.The other popular combos with dhali are chapathi/dhali, khotto.idli /dhali,Shevai(string hoppers)/dhali etc.
Tuvar dhal (split red gram)-1
slit into 2
Long red chillies-2 chopped into bits
- Wash and boil the dhal in cooker for 2 whistles and simmer for 5 minutes .
the pressure releases open the lid .
- Add water to adjust the consistency,you may keep the dhal thick or thin.
salt,green chillies, and take a boil.
tempering heat ghee ,
add mustard seeds,once the mustard seeds starts to splutter add curry
leaves,red chillies and hing.
- Temper (tadka) it to the dhal and close the lid immediately to retain the flavour.
- Serve it hot with rice.
can also add solid hing (kada hing) dissolved in water.
- When you temper with the hing water, off the flame and add it ,or else it will catch
fire and the entire seasoning will burn.
- Reduce the flame while adding hing powder.
- The reason to close the lid while tempering is, so that the aroma remains inside the dhal.
- You can also garnish with coriander leaves.
- You may also add 1 chopped tomato while boiling the cooked dhal.
- You may also mix coconut oil and ghee while seasoning.